These wine-steeped strawberries are delicious with vanilla ice cream, or simply garnished with a sprig of mint.
For the wine:
3 leaves gelatin (½ envelope powdered), softened in cold water
2 cups (500 ml) richly flavored red wine, such as Bordeaux
3 tbsp (45 ml) floral honey, such as lavender
1 cinnamon stick
Heaping 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the strawberries:
1 lb (500 g) perfectly ripe strawberries
1 tbsp vanilla sugar
1. Put gelatin leaves in a bowl of cold water to soften.
2. Put wine in a medium-sized saucepan. Add honey, cinnamon stick, and several grinds of black pepper. Bring wine to a boil over medium-high heat and boil until reduced by one-third. Remove pan from heat.
3. Squeeze water from gelatin leaves and whisk them into the wine, one by one.
4. When wine has cooled to room temperature, refrigerate.
5. Cut strawberries in quarters lengthwise. Put them in a bowl, add the sugar and toss gently. Set aside.
6. When the spiced wine is chilled and slightly jelled, remove cinnamon stick and divide the wine among 6 glasses. Divide the strawberries among the glasses, and top with vanilla ice cream, if desired. Garnish with a sprig of mint and serve.
From France Today magazine