What’s better than a picnic in Provence? Readers, take note: Chef Nicolas Pierantoni is preparing gourmet picnic hampers for guests this summer at the Michelin-starred Hostellerie de L’Abbaye de la Celle in Provence.
One of Alain Ducasses’s idyllic Provençal inns, the Hostellerie de l’Abbaye de la Celle is situated in vineyards adjoining a 12th century Benedictine abbey. Head chef Nicolas Pierantoni takes charge of the kitchen of the award-winning restaurant; most of the vegetables and herbs are sourced from the inn’s very own garden.
Based on the best of what the kitchen garden and the local producers have to offer (according to the season), dishes might include:
- Green asparagus vinaigrette
- Tomato salad from the garden
- Melon and ‘Culatello’ from Spigaroli brothers
- Little stuffed vegetables (tomato, courgette, onion…)
- Regional cheeses and home-made jams
- Clafoutis with seasonal fruits (apricot, cherry…)
Picnic baskets are €50 (approx. £44) per person (including water). For 2 to 8 people, they must be reserved according to availability. A deposit will be taken for the basket. Available from May to September. Double rooms available from €310 (approx. £268) per night based on two sharing.