Perhaps you’re someone who looks forward to the winter ski season all year round. Or maybe you’re new to the slopes and you’re keen to learn. You may be someone who simply enjoys the fresh air and beautiful scenery that the mountains offer, as you accompany other passionate skiers within your family group.
If you need a change of scene while you’re “working from home” there’s no better place to work remotely: Live in a ski resort, with delicious restaurants, inspiring landscapes, and adrenaline-pumping activities for whenever you log off for the day.
Whatever it is specifically that you love about wintertime ski vacations, you have likely been wondering where might be best to spend your time (and money) when 2020 has turned out the way it has. The fact you’re here reading these words highlights the fact that you’re passionate about finding a solution.
You’re in exactly the right place. Despite the far-reaching and significant impact that COVID-19 has had upon all of our lives, it does not necessarily have to be a barrier to enjoying a well-deserved winter break away to the mountains. All you need is the right resort, offering the best options for your specific needs.
Here are 7 powerful reasons why Val d’Allos could be the location you’ve been looking for:
1) The location and facilities are unmatched. Nestled in the French Alps within the world-famous Mercantour National Park, the Val d’Allos resort sits majestically at the source of the Verdon natural spring. It combines the beautiful mountain range with warm mediterranean climates, offering glorious sunshine twinned with fresh mountain air for its many visitors. Whether you want a few brisk days away to stretch your ski legs or a longer and more restful stay, this scenic spot is more than ideal.
The Val d’Allos l’Espace Lumière is a magnificent ski area that is offered at an affordable cost of 41 euros (roughly 37 GBP). It’s a combination of two vast ski areas featuring 35 chairlifts and 90 slopes! A guaranteed location for socially distanced sporting!
2) It is a safer vacation option. For those concerned about the safety of their group during this period of uncertainty due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ski breaks are one of the more favourable options. Fresh open air and social distancing is natural to most activities. The newly introduced ‘Marin Pascal’ chairlift at the resort offers breathtaking views with only a 6 minute journey to reach the Signal Ridge, helping to put worried minds at ease. Every effort is being made to keep the resort clean safe for all of its visitors.
3) Access is superb. There a few choice options for travel to the Val d’Allos resort. You can easily fly in to Paris, Nice or Marseille before renting a car and completing the journey to the destination within a mere 2-3 hours. In contrast to the travel time and effort required for other French ski resorts, this is a relatively short and pleasant journey all in all. You could even start or finish your ski break with some well spent time enjoying the French Riviera before your onward venture.
4) The accommodation offers options for everyone. From the famous guest rooms of the ‘dream-catcher’ guest house to the large and modern apartments of the chalets, you have a full selection of accommodation options to suit any size and type of visiting group. With safety considerations in mind, you might prefer to book the serviced hotel rooms of the hotels in the resort. Or simply tuck yourselves away as a family group in one of the numerous cosy lodges.
5) It’s an ideal spot to stretch your wings post-lockdown. The Val d’Allos resort offers a range of options besides skiing and snowboarding. Try your hand at paragliding to take an aerial view of the mountains. Or hire one of the newly offered ‘fat bikes’ with extra wide tyres that allow you to freely explore the local terrain. For ski-touring devotees, try out the ‘Free Ride’ experience where you’ll get to meet the notorious Maël Ollivier who was born and raised in these mountains and who will share his insights as you’re taken up into the Vescal summit.
6) Comfort and relaxation are a priority. No matter how this year’s events have affected your experiences, you deserve an opportunity to unwind – and the Val d’Allos resort is just the place to help that happen! After a full day of activities, you can fall gratefully into the arms of the hospitality options Val d’Allos offers. Dedicated traditional restaurants offer hearty and delicious fare that will suit every diner. Or you might want to unwind tired muscles with a professional massage at the central village spa. Finish it all off with a jacuzzi with a view as the evening draws to a gentle close.
7) You won’t want to miss the special events this season. From a devoted women’s weekend to the super festive ‘Christmas Magic’ events, there is a unique list of special days and themed weeks happening at the Val d’Allos resort this season. There are numerous options for families, no matter how old your children are. Forget the stresses of the past year as you take in the annual Ski France Championships in January. Or settle back into your seat as you take in one of the many concerts on offer throughout December. Don’t forget to schedule in some actual ski time, amongst all the excitement.
With so much to offer, Val d’Allos is a destination that will provide joy to visitors of all ages and interests. 2020 has been a year of significant change and adjustment for many of us. However, the local traditions and cosy atmosphere that this resort offers are a true remedy as we head into the winter months and new year.
The moment you find yourself standing atop the mountain with blue skies and blankets of white snow surrounding you, the anchors of stress and uncertainty that you have been carrying will fall away. We may not know what the year 2021 will hold for us all.
However, what we can be sure of is the sense that these epic mountains will remain. They stand strong, offering the same idyllic escapism, unique activities, and welcoming hospitality that they always have done for new and returning visitors year upon year.